01.06.202X - Friendship

18:50 01/06/202X 18C

 

Wow.
So much done today.

The palisade around the storage lot is up, the road to West Point is cleared of wrecks, we've managed to build the catwalk on the fortifications and are currently working on the fences...

Planning to build a proper multi-story watchtower on top of the storage after that.
A beacon to bring in survivors, a tower to snipe rotters from, a giant middle finger at the authorities and the world around us, but most importantly, a monument.

Something that tells the world that we are here to stay.

Harris has been out disassembling stuff all day, hauling in scrap every now and then.

Rufus is trapping and foraging and making berry wine in the kitchen, occasionally setting out to explore.

Me and Mishka have been busy as hell since last morning, with no rest in between, just chipping away at the fortifications and hauling in more materials from the car wrecks up north.

 

I can't help but to feel a bit proud of her.

 

Feels weird to say that about someone that's clearly the older and taller of us two, but it's the truth.

We've been chatting casually all day, not constantly, not like some group of grannies on a tea date, but like, well...

 

Friends.

 

I think we're friends now.

 

I'm a bit scared and worried for her, and when she got bit in the arm I freaked out, but despite everything, the helo strafing us around midnight, the toxic fog coming in tomorrow, even despite losing Izzy just over a week ago...

I can't help it. I'm feeling hopeful again. It's a bit scary, but it's so refreshing at the same time.

At times, especially recently, life has felt like it did back home.

Like you're just drifting, underwater, just slowly floating along with the current, enveloped in darkness, numb from the cold, forgetting what it's actually like to live... 

Then something wonderful happens, something simple and every-day and normal and you're pulled to the surface, you gasp for breath, see the stars twinkling above, and you remember. 

 

You remember why you still choose to drift along, despite having so many chances to end it. 

Moments like that. 

Moments that remind you what life is, what life can be. 

 

Then, you sink, your breath runs out, and the currents drag you under, but... 

It feels worth it for those moments alone. 

 

I've got some strips of fabric ripped from an old "Kentucky Baseball" shirt, a red one. 

Red, like my old friendship bracelet. 

I was thinking that maybe Mishka would like one. 

God, it feels so childish to even think about it, but...

 

I don't think that's enough to stop me. 

I've done far dumber things, anyway. 

 

Burned down churches. 

Taken down hordes with a bad leg, a fire axe, and pure anger. 

Travelled to America to meet someone I thought I'd grow to love. 

Stayed in Knox County even though I could have gone back to Japan weeks before the infection started.

  

I think I'll get to braiding when I've washed up. I reek right now, and my clothes are covered in oil and blood. 

Still can't really manage to muster up any frustration over it. 

Washing is cold and always leaves me shivering, but even that's not so bad. I've missed having a real, actual friend for so long. 

 

If we ever get out of here, and the world is at least some degree of normal, I'm going to take her on a visit to Japan. 

The culture shock might be a bit much for her, but maybe she'd appreciate it. 

 

I really hope she'd appreciate it. 

 

 

-Sayori Takahashi, covered in scars, still hanging on

 

 

-INTERMISSION - DIARY OF LT. MISHKA SOKOLOV, RUSSIAN REPUBLIC ARMED FORCES - 3

 

01/06

Thank fuck that chopper finally left- we went out but not to chase the chopper- went to the same place that we went with Harre - dismantling wrecks-- I got pretty good at it- 

Maybe Iz and her engineering degree rubbed off on me?

Grabbed a truck with a really strange graphic on the side - I'd call it the image of American diet as a whole- there was a leopard bra in the back but I'm going to ignore the implications that had.

 

 

I hate being alone by myself- 

I hate it so much- 

I've been hearing jets and choppers on the edge of my hearing all day and I don't know if its just my brain panicking-

 

 

I nearly got bit a few times. 

My driving has gotten better - I'm not crashing as much but I still feel terrified when I'm behind a wheel.

Hotwired cars today too! Mama would be horrified.

 

I got bit - not infected - Sayori checked - took anti-biotics-

It's just annoying because its my left hand - reloading is so slow. 

I'm going to shove honey on it to see if it helps heal faster. Really fucking annoying.

Sayori's been a bit warmer towards me - it's nice- 

I forgot to mention she brought me another pack of Adderall when I was helping with the palisade- 

Reserved but shows she cares in her own way? Also she gave me chocolate while we were out-

American chocolate is so sweet but its nice to have something after seasoning stuff with salt for so long.

I've noticed she journals a lot too - maybe I should start picking up blank notebooks and journals for her

The toxic fog should be rolling in tomorrow - Sayori seems nervous - she's been rigorously checking the mask stock we have.

I'm going to bed with mine on tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended Reading Order

31.3.202X - Escape From Rosewood

02.04.202X - Bastards